Understanding antique ships and their life is how to know about the history of their era. With the deep love to legend ships, and the passion to models building that is also her family’s handicraft tradition, Ms. Ha Tran, the shop owner, has researched about their structure, characteristics as well as their history to imitate the model ships.
Among a range of souvenirs shops selling diverse products of lanterns, sandals, pottery,… in the ancient town, Hoi An Craftships is seen as a highlight through the uniqueness of products made by skillful hands of craftsmen.
|Product name||Santa Pinta|
|Specification||36L x 8W x 43H (cm)
or 14L x 3W x 17H (inch)
|Price||Please contact us for best price|
The 15th century
Having gotten permission and funds from Ferdinand and Isabella, Columbus set about outfitting a little fleet for a trip across the "Ocean Sea" to find a faster route to China and India. He got three ships, now remembered as the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria.
"Pinta", meaning "Painted One", is thought to be a nickname for the second vessel. Her given name is no longer certain. The Pinta was a caravel. This was a smaller two or three masted ship of about 20 meters in length (about 65 feet) and about 7 meters wide (22 feet). It could be crewed by about 25 sailors. It was captained on the first trip by Martín Alonso Pinzon. He was also part owner of both the Nina and the Pinta. Columbus had some difficulty with him on the first voyage. They became separated more than once largely at the seeming instigation of Pinzon.
Highlights about Santa Pinta model ship:
• This model ship is entirely handmade by skilled and experienced craftsmen, using the plank on frame construction method
• No kits are use
• Anchors, guns, decorations, and other intricate details sculpted of metal
• Meticulously sewn sails, keep shape from wrinkle
• Use high-quality wood such as rosewood, ebony, black wood, mahogany wood.... timbers are after process step of pre-construction.
• Santa Pinta model ships are built on scale by the original plan, then drawn up and painted by actual photographs to ensure the best accuracy.
The art of Bai Choi inscribed on the List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of HumanityRead more
Established in 1999 with a workshop manufacturing ship models for exporting, Tan Phu Giao Co., Ltd. have based a first and exclusive store in Hoi An in 2009. Since thatRead more
The list was ranged by The People"s Committee of Hoi An City every 2 years.Read more