Understanding antique ships and their life is how to know about the history of their era. With the deep love to legend ships, and the passion to models building that is also her family’s handicraft tradition, Ms. Ha Tran, the shop owner, has researched about their structure, characteristics as well as their history to imitate the model ships.
Among a range of souvenirs shops selling diverse products of lanterns, sandals, pottery,… in the ancient town, Hoi An Craftships is seen as a highlight through the uniqueness of products made by skillful hands of craftsmen.
|Product name||Santa Maria|
|Specification||36L x 8W x 43H (cm)
or 14L x 3W x 17H (inch)
|Price||Please contact us for best price|
The 15th century
The SANTA MARIA was the largest of the three ships used by Christopher Columbus in his first voyage from Spain to the Americas between 1492 and 1502. Her master and owner was Juan de la Cosa.
With three masts, she was the slowest of Columbus' vessels but performed well in the Atlantic Ocean crossing. Then on the return trip, she sank on the Christmas Day 1492 in north from the modern town of Limonade. Her voyage under the command of Columbus opened the era of American discovery as well as the conlonization of the European countries.
Today, the anchor of the Santa María rests in the Haitian National Museum of Panthéon (MUPANAH), in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
Santa Maria’s replicas are now displayed in Spain, Canada, US, and Potugal.
Highlights about Santa Maria model ship:
• This model ship is entirely handmade by skilled and experienced craftsmen, using the plank on frame construction method
• No kits are use
• Anchors, guns, decorations, and other intricate details sculpted of metal
• Meticulously sewn sails, keep sail shape from wrinkle
• Use high-quality wood such as rosewood, ebony, black wood, mahogany wood...., timbers are after process step of pre-construction.
• Santa Maria model ships are built on scale by the original plan, then drawn up and painted by actual photographs to ensure the best accuracy.
The art of Bai Choi inscribed on the List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of HumanityRead more
Established in 1999 with a workshop manufacturing ship models for exporting, Tan Phu Giao Co., Ltd. have based a first and exclusive store in Hoi An in 2009. Since thatRead more
The list was ranged by The People"s Committee of Hoi An City every 2 years.Read more